MOUSSE WITH GINGERSNAP CRUMBS
Mostly pure pumpkin, and highly seasoned with lemon,
maple, and sweet spices, this vegan mousse is lightened by the
presence of whipped silken tofu. The tofu is utterly neutral in
flavor, but adds a wonderful creamy texture, as well as a big hit
1 10-ounce box soft silken tofu
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
A pinch of ground cloves
A pinch of salt
3 cups (1 29-ounce can) solid-pack pumpkin 8 gingersnaps (2-inch
diameter), crushed with a rolling pin
- Place everything except the pumpkin and the gingersnaps in
a blender, and puré until smooth.
half the pumpkin, and puré again. Transfer to a medium-sized
bowl and beat in the remaining pumpkin until the mixture becomes
- Cover tightly and chill for several hours or overnight, so
the flavors combine and deepen. To serve, spoon into decorative
bowls and sprinkle with gingersnap crumbs. Serve immediately, so
the crumbs won't turn soggy.
- You can substitute cooked squash or sweet potato for the
- This keeps well for up to a week, if stored in a tightly
covered container in the refrigerator.
- Don't add the gingersnap crumbs until the very last minute
– they don't stay crisp for long.