Orange Waffles with Pomegranates
Pomegranate seeds fit perfectly into the hollows of a
crisp, hot waffle. In this special recipe, the tart flavor of the
pomegranates is paired with sharp, bitter orange. If you can find
pomegranate molasses (wonderful product, which is like a deep red
syrup–available in specialty shops and Middle Eastern food
markets), drizzle this over the top in place of the usual maple
- To keep the waffles warm, transfer
them to a rack on a baking tray, and place the tray in a 200°F
oven until serving time. (The rack keeps them crisp.)
- Canola oil can be substituted for
some or all of the butter.
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unprocessed wheat bran
1/4 teaspoon salt (rounded measure)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup orange juice
3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Nonstick spray and/or for the waffle iron
1 cup pomegranate seeds
- Preheat the waffle
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Stir in the
- Measure the buttermilk and then the orange juice into a 4-cup
liquid measure. Add the eggs and beat gently with a fork or a small
whisk until smooth.
- Pour this mixture, along with the melted butter, into the dry
ingredients. Stir until thoroughly blended, scraping from the
bottom and sides of the bowl, but don't overmix. A few lumps are
- Lightly spray the hot waffle iron on both the top and bottom
surfaces with nonstick spray. If you like, you can also rub on a
little butter. (This is most easily accomplished by generously
buttering a chunk of bread, and using the bread as a nifty, edible
utensil to butter the waffle iron.) Add enough batter to just cover
the cooking surface -- approximately 1/2 cup per standard waffle
(1 cup per Belgian waffle).
- Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, depending on your waffle iron.
Don't overbake–you want it crisp and brown, but not too dark.
It is perfectly okay to peek.
- Serve hot, with a drizzle of pomegranate molasses and
pomegranate seeds sprinkled on top.