Chocolate Hazelnut Meringues
Adapted from Moosewood Cookbook
Preparation time: 10 minutes, then 3+ hours to bake and cool
Yield: 1 1/2 dozen. Easily (and often) doubled!
Meringues have the great ability to satisfy longings for a rich dessert, yet they contain no butter, oil, egg yolks, or flour. These are a great dessert solution for people with dairy or wheat allergies! (And not bad for the rest of the population,either.)
NOTE: Meringues will turn out softer or firmer, depending on the humidity in your kitchen. Store them in an airtight bin lined with waxed paper.
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
A pinch of salt
1/4 cup hazelnuts
4 egg whites (from large eggs), at room temperature and in a medium-sized bowl
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Lightly grease a baking tray, or line it with parchment or waxed paper.
- Place the powdered sugar, cocoa, and salt in the workbowl of a food processor.
- Add the nuts, and process in a seeries of spurts until the nuts and sugar form a fine powder.
- Add the vanilla to the bowlful of egg whites, and beat at high speed with an electric mixer until they form stiff peaks.
- Add the dry mixture and the chocolate chips to the beaten egg whites, and fold everything together, being careful not to deflate the egg whites.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto the prepared tray. Bake for 3 hours without opening the oven, then turn off the oven and leave them in there for another 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely on the tray.