Yield: 1 large loaf
1/2 cup softened butter, plus extra for the pan
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 bananas)
2 cups unbleached white flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter a medium-sized loaf pan.
- Put the softened 1/2 cup butter in a medium-large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at high speed, gradually adding the sugar, the eggs, and the vanilla. Scrape the sides of the bowl, then beat again until fluffy and uniform. Stir in the mashed banana.
- Sift together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add 1/3 the dry mixture into the butter mixture, and stir to moisten. Stir in half the yogurt, then another 1/3 of the flour, then the rest of the yogurt. Mix, scraping the bottom of the bowl, until all combined.
- Transfer to the prepared pan, spread into place, and bake to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted all the way into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool for about 20 minutes longer before serving.