SAVORY NUT BREAD
Preparation time: 30 minutes of work, 50 minutes to bake, and time to cool
Yield: 1 medium-sized loaf
A little butter or oil for the pan
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup finely minced onion
1/2 cup finely minced walnuts
1/2 cup finely minced pecans or almonds
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
1/2 cup chopped pitted black or Greek olives
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the onion softens. Add the nuts and sauté for about 5 minutes longer, or until the nuts are lightly browned. Remove from heat.
- Sift together the flours, baking powder, soda, and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the suagr and make a well in the center.
- Combine the buttermilk or yogurt and the eggs in a seaprate bowl. Beat until frothy, and pour into the well in the dry ingredients. Add the olives, onion, and nuts, and stir until completely blended.
- Spread into the prepared pan, and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted all the way into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, and rap sharply and remove. Allow to cool on a rack for about 30 minutes longer. Don't try to slice it any sooner, or it will seriously crumble.
- Serve plain or lightly toasted, with butter or cream cheese.