Fresh Cherry Clafoutis
Preparation time: 20 minutes to prepare; 30 to
35 minutes to bake
Yield: 4 servings
This baked custardy puff, studded with fresh
cherries, belongs to the same species as popovers, Yorkshire
pudding, and souffléed pancakes. It is a very easy brunch or
dessert dish that you can whip up in a blender in minutes.
1 1/3 cups milk (can be low
2 tablespoons sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups all-purpose unbleached white flour
1 1/2 cups pitted fresh or frozen (not defrosted) cherries
1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Use a blender or a food processor. Add the milk first, then all
remaining ingredients except the cherries and powdered sugar. Blend
or process until frothy and thoroughly combined.
- Place the butter in a 10-inch pie pan, or a 9-inch square pan,
and put the pan in the oven for several minutes, until the butter
is melted. Remove the pan from the oven and carefully tilt the pan
to evenly distribute the butter.
- Pour the batter into the hot pan, and sprinkle in the cherries.
Put the pan right back in the oven, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes,
or until dramatically puffed and solid in the center when
- Serve hot, cut into wedges or squares, and sprinkled with